Followers

Friday, 15 May 2026

Play for Children with Special Needs and Circumstances

The lesson on Play for Children with Special Needs and Circumstances was a meaningful and eye-opening learning experience for me. It helped me understand that play is not only important for typically developing children but is equally essential for children with disabilities and special needs. Through this lesson, I learned how play supports children’s social, emotional, physical, and cognitive development while also helping them feel included, confident, and independent. The lesson made me realize that as future teachers, we must create learning environments where every child has equal opportunities to participate and grow through play.

One of the most enjoyable activities was the mirror game reflection activity. For this activity, we went outside to the courtyard and worked in pairs. I paired with Ugyen Lhamo, and we had to copy each other’s movements like reflections in a mirror. I decided to make funny and playful movements, which made the activity more enjoyable for me. At first, I felt excited and curious because it was something different from our normal classroom activities. I also felt happy because it gave me the freedom to express myself creatively without worrying too much about being judged. 

Ugyen Lhamo, on the other hand, seemed shy and hesitant at first. She appeared a little uncomfortable making exaggerated movements and would laugh quietly while trying to follow along. I could sense that she was trying to overcome her shyness, and as the activity continued, she slowly became more relaxed. Watching her become slightly more comfortable reminded me that playful activities can help people gradually build confidence and feel more at ease in social situations. This activity taught me the value of trust, observation, patience, and emotional connection. It also showed how play can create a positive and supportive environment for interaction, which is especially important for children with emotional or social challenges.

Another interesting part of the lesson was the chocolate activity, where we could choose different creative tasks. I chose to write a podcast on “If I were a chocolate…” The following is the one I wrote, and I will include a picture of my writing. In my podcast, I described myself as a chocolate that is hard on the outside, so strong that even Hercules would not be able to break me, especially for people I do not like or trust easily. At the same time, I described myself as soft like Patroclus, someone who would melt away with warmth, kindness, and care. This activity was very reflective because it allowed me to express my personality in a creative and symbolic way. It helped me think deeply about how I present myself to others and how emotions can be hidden beneath a strong exterior. I also realized that every person has different layers to their personality, just as every child has unique ways of expressing themselves.

This chocolate activity also helped me understand the importance of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and differentiated instruction. Since everyone was free to choose different ways to express their ideas, it showed how learning activities can be adapted to meet diverse needs and strengths. Some students expressed themselves through writing, some through drawing, and others through performance. This reminded me that children learn best when they are given choices and opportunities to use their own strengths.

The discussion on children with disabilities and special needs helped me understand the importance of inclusion in education. I learned that children with disabilities need extra support, thoughtful adaptations, and opportunities to participate in meaningful play. I also learned about UDL and differentiated instruction, which focus on modifying teaching approaches and materials to meet the needs of all learners instead of expecting learners to fit into one standard method. This changed my perspective on teaching because it showed me that inclusion is not about making children adjust to the system, but about making the system flexible enough for every child.

My key learning from this lesson is that play is a powerful tool for inclusion and development. It helps children build confidence, social skills, emotional expression, independence, and creativity. I learned that every child learns differently, and it is the teacher’s responsibility to create opportunities that support those differences. This lesson inspired me to become a more thoughtful and inclusive future teacher who values diversity and believes that every child deserves the chance to learn, play, and succeed.

1 comment:

  1. Thoughtful reflection that clearly shows your understanding of inclusion and the importance of adapting play in your diverse classroom.

    ReplyDelete

Play for Children with Special Needs and Circumstances

The lesson on Play for Children with Special Needs and Circumstances was a meaningful and eye-opening learning experience for me. It helped...