This is my first blog reflection for the module Play in Early Childhood Education, and this session gave me a meaningful introduction to understanding play through experience. Before this class, I often thought of play mainly as an enjoyable activity for children. However, through the discussions and activities, I learned that play is much more than entertainment. It is a meaningful process that supports children’s cognitive, social, emotional, and physical development.
The session helped me understand the definition, characteristics, and functions of play. I learned that play is freely chosen, intrinsically motivated, process-oriented, and enjoyable, which makes it a natural and powerful way for children to learn. The discussion also made me reflect on the difference between play and work and how purposeful play can create valuable learning experiences in the classroom.
Another important takeaway for me was understanding how play is shaped by social and cultural contexts. Children’s play experiences differ depending on their environment, community, and cultural background. This made me realize the important role teachers play in recognizing and integrating children’s cultural experiences into classroom learning.
This session changed my perspective on play and showed me that it is not simply free time, but a meaningful learning tool that supports holistic development. As a future educator, I hope to create playful learning opportunities that are engaging, purposeful, and culturally relevant for children.


I enjoyed reading your reflection as it clearly explains how your understanding of play has developed through the session. The examples of traditional Bhutanese games made your writing unique and showed the connection between culture and learning. Your reflection also highlights the importance of creating playful and meaningful experiences for children as future educators.
ReplyDeleteA strong and reflective introduction to play in early childhood education. You’ve clearly shown how your understanding has deepened, especially around the role of culture and learning through play.
ReplyDelete